1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 New additions!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Chase, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

Hey!

A few days ago my friends and I went to Petsmart, to get some Crab stuff/crabs/etc.

Two of us ended up getting 3 Hermies each, so we had 6 altogether.

They had this one massive crab, that no one had adopted yet. So being cruel/logical they placed the crab in a 10g tank by itself on the top of a shelf.

The logical part of it was that it was so big it would be cruel not to put it in it's own aquarium.

The cruel part is, is that they had no top, 1 large shell, and some of that nasty,smelly food of theirs.

So, feeling nice, I adopted it, Along with my 2 other Hermies.

We never did really see him come out much, so we just let him be.

*2 days pass*

When I come back home, I find that my large crab is dead, and was just in the corner. All my other crabs were fine, aside from this one. I figured that he had been up their for a while,as they told me.

I bought the other ones in painted shells, so they could switch, I'm still waiting for the other one to change, as he is in an ISO tank.

So that's my story for the week, mistreated hermies, saving hermies, and more hermies to come!

2. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

Aw, that's sad about the large crab, but you did everything you could for him and I'm sure he was happier with you. Congrats on your other two new crabs though! I hope you have lots of fun with them!

I wish pet stores would get their act together and actually take proper care of the hermit crabs. Everytime I see crabs living in bad conditions, I want to buy them all, and I definitely don't have the room or experience to do that.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't think it's really adopting them. The pet store will just buy more and mistreat them for longer. Now that that crab is gone they will take some other poor little crab. Try looking on craigslist and finding a crab who needs a home even though it's tempting to save one from the store. Also try to get the pet store to improve their conditions. Go over and tell what they are doing wrong and how your crabs died. Offer to set up the tank. I don't know. What can you do to help those crabs?:eek:

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Chase. That's sad...:( I'm glad to hear your others are doing good so far, and I hope your friends' are as well.

5. cococrisp

Yes. Poor little guys at the pet store.:(

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Congrats on your new hermies! :) I'm really sorry about your large hermit crab. :(

7. cococrisp

Usually the smallest were most affected but it looks like he was in the worst conditions.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.