1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 molts, and a shell change..

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by counterfeitkiss, Oct 15, 2006.

1. So, 3 crabs have molted so far, but only 1 stays above the sand all day. Is this normal? the 4th hasnt been above the sand since sept 4th. it doesnt smell funky in their tank, so i assume he's ok. he has moved from the spot he was in for over a month, so i guess that means something.

Here's Nigel. I have NO clue why he picked a shell that's like 5 times too big for him. silly boy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the shell he had before:

[​IMG]

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

They look just dapper!!!  Congrats on the molts!

Sometimes, following a molt, mine will come up to eat, drink & check things out.  Then they will dig back down for hours or days....maybe for just a tad more stress-free solitude. :icon_smile:

3. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah Counterfeitkiss, some stay down all day and some stay up a lot.  They are really just their own crabs and do whatever they want to do.  It's kind of like us, I mean, what IS normal?  I have crabs I don't see for weeks, sometimes a month or more then they'll be up a day or two and back down for another couple of weeks.  At least I won't see them for that amount of time.  I have a couple that stay up all the time and maybe hide for a day or two and then come back out again.

For yours and everyone else's info; if they die they don't always smell.  I've had a couple die buried and I never knew it until I did a deep clean.  I did know one died, I saw where it was buried and I knew it had but it never smelled.  Other's smell the whole room up.

4. Well, I assume he's not dead cus he moved. Unless one of the other wandering crabs pushed him somewhere else? I hope not :(