1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 hermir crabs deaths in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by manolo578, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

I had 4 crabs and only remains. 99% of crabs die from post purchase stress so I think that is the biggest killer.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">
    How long have you had the crab(s) in question? About 2-4 weeks

Do you know what species they are? PP

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? No, I got them all at the same time

Tank Size: 10 gallon

Lid Type: Aqarium lid with duct tape at the back to stop humidity from escaping

Placement of tank in your home: my room

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): Moist play sand around 3-4 inches

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital analog

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? yes

Placement of Gauges: about 2 inches off the sand

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % 75% h and 75 % temp

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): lamp

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): 15 watts each day glo and night glo

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?yes

Is there any metal in your tank? nope

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? a vine

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? treated tap water

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? Krabworks

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? only fresh. no one will drive me to get salt water

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? dishes and no sponges

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? HE has about 12 shells all for himself

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? obviously

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? no

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? yes

How often do you handle them? rarely. He doesnt crawl over my hand anymore

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? no

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? no

What types of foods do you feed? plain sunflower seeds, plain walnuts, flower power stuff (commercial) and 3 pellets (commercial) I let him have his pick

What do you use as a calcium supplement? NO. He doesnt like eggshells
    </span>

2. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

I don't think you should be using tap water at all, you should use bottled water (or get better dechlor drops) Crabworx really doesn't make good stuff. Also, they need salt & fresh water, it really isn't an option if you want healthy crabs.

Also, you should get a piece of plexi glass for the top of the tank (not duct tape, that stuff smells crazy to me so it has to be noxious to crabs) Stop using commercial food all together, the stuff has preservatives in it, and it is bad for crabs. you're better off using unseasoned scraps of what you have for dinner (as long as it is on the safe list) instead of the pellets crud.

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

also if you get new Crabs Keep you hands off them Compleatly for about 2 weeks
    to help with stress

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

DecAbbersMom pretty much covered my main concerns - no salt water, bad dechlorinator, and pellets. Try offering them a piece of meat, veggie, fruit, and calcium and don't offer the commercial foods. Commercial food manufacturers will sometimes put pheromones into the food to make it more appealing to crabs and it overwhelms their senses and they basically have no choice but to eat it. Give him a week of no pellets/commercial foods and only fresh meat, fruit, veggie, and calcium and see if he isn't eating more heartily.

5. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

alright
    and would that be raw or cooked meat?

6. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

cooked just take a small piece of chicken or ground beef in a little bowl with a little water in the microwave for like 3 min it will steam it up real nice.

7. emmac350

Yep - I microwave mine in a bit of veggie oil (either soybean oil or olive oil) so they can get some of the healthy fats in it. It only takes 15 seconds or so with the oil on the meat.

8. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

what if I cook it in a pan? I would prefer to do it that way

9. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

you mean you'd prefer to cook all your meat in a pan? or just the bit the crabs eat? I'd say just put it in the microwave since its such a small cube a meat to feed your crab.

10. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Can you feed your hermit crabs raw meat, or does it have to be cooked??? Please forgive me for my stupidity. . .

11. emmac350

It's a good question, Alex, so don't feel stupid. Some crabs seem to like raw - I tried it with mine and they never touched it, so I cook mine. I know Vicki has given raw meat and her crabs have eaten it, but I feel safer cooking it. Shrimp have to be cooked because they can transmit crustacean diseases to crabs if they aren't, and chicken needs to be cooked too because of the risk of salmonella bacteria growing in your tank and making you sick, but technically you could feed raw meat other than those two. My crabs don't seem to like it raw, so I feed cooked. They love it.

12. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

mine got beef roast cooked bits for dinner today as their meat source with some carrotys, taters, um cherry tomato, lettuce, lil bit of cheese, and some other kinds of lettuce, and corn, and green bean, and a pea i believe.. need to cut open apple for fruit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.