1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Crabs not moving- HELP!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by mbrunn8, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrunn8

mbrunn8 Hi, I'm New Here!

So about 3 weeks ago my wife and I purchased 4 hermit crabs for my daughter. Within 10 days one of them dug under the sand, and has begun to molt. That is the good news.

I moved the other three into a separate tank, so that the molter could have his (or her) peace. The 3 that are in the separate tank have been NON active for nearly a week now.

The temp is about 76 degrees, humidity is around 75%. Sand is a good 3 inches deep. There is a hut in the tank, water dish, and food. from everything I can see their "home" should be to there liking.

So, help me out here. My 3 crabs have not moved AT ALL in nearly a week. I leave them in one spot and the next day they are in the EXACT same spot, and look EXACTLY as they did the night before. What should I do?

There is NO smell in the cage. Is this a sign of death coming on? I know before a molt crabs can become lethargic. Is what I am explaning normal before a molt?

Thanks for any of your help in advance.

P.S. My crab that is buried has been there for 15 days now. I heard some digging a few nights ago, and was hoping he was getting ready to come up, but not yet. Hopefully soon :)

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Hi and welcome!

Okay, so, the crabs can all be left together in the same tank, molting or not. There is really no need to move anyone, unless you witness some destructive behaviour, which is pretty rare if the conditions are good.

Your crabs are still new and although he could be molting, it's not necessarily that he is. For them not to move much, or to bury is really normal behaviour. Think of what the poor things went through to get to our homes. They are also seeing shadows and big hands, and probably think they are going to be seagull dinner! They are very stressed. This is why a one month, hands off, ISO period is so necessary. They need the time to acclimatize themselves and get the proper nutrition again and gain strength....and trust. Stores usually only feed a commercial diet and nothing they actually really need. Now there is a chance that they could suffer from post purchase stress, which is not good. I had lost many crabs due to stress, although over time you learn to adjust a little here and there, and try to help eliminate some of it. Sometimes they are just too far gone though. It is best to just leave them be and try not to distract them too much. If there is no death smell, that's a good thing! Maybe cover them with a hut to keep it dark and quiet and provide good food and a lot of calcium.

Also, try to get your humidity up just a touch. I find around 80 keeps them quite happy and active.

I know your little ones are still fairly new to your home and in that "delicate" period, but people panic a lot when their crabs don't move. Sometimes they are just like that though. I have one that was in a tree in the same exact spot for 4 days, came down and now has gone back up. It's okay...he's alive, I'm sure he's eating as there is plenty of food, and I just leave him be. He likes it there, so who am I to say! LOL ...

Hope this helps some and keep us posted!

3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Try smoothing out the sand and see if there are any tracks in it in the morning. That will let you know for sure that they are not active at night. I also find more activity when the humidity is at 80 to 90 % with proper temperature. My crabs also go crazy when I throw new shells in the tank. i have one little guy that has changed shells more that a dozen times in two weeks! The others are right. Maybe they are just destressing. Hang in there!

4. mbrunn8

mbrunn8 Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks to the both of you for your posts! The humidity in my tank has actually been at 80 - 85% not 75%, my bad.

I did smooth out the sand for a few nights....... nothing. When I mean they are in the exact same spot, it is the exact same spot :)

I also did try to put a few shells in the tank, no luck there either.

I think I will try to leave them alone, and see what happens.

I did realize today that one of the three appears to have dug himself under the sand, inside the hut (I can see this from the back of the tank). So perhaps I have a molter in that crab!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The other two.......... I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks for the input so far :)

5. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

i would just watch for a smell. they will stink to high heaven when they die so no smell is a good sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.