1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd level shell shops

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by crabalicious, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

So I got several soap dishes to add upper levels in my tanks. For those of you that already have these I have a question. Some of the dishes I set up as moss pits, and some are shell shops. Do your crabs really utilize these? I would think it would be uncomfortable for them to change up there on top of a pile of shells with little room to move around.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I personally like something that has some depth to it. I use the corner shower caddies from Walmart and the Seagrass Tray they sell in the floral section too.
    When I did my weekly "fluff" to the moss pits, I had seven crabs in one shower caddy. They really like them, and I use the "Naturals floral moss" from Walmart also. :)

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

yeah dont overcrowd the shell dishes but yes they use them. I have them in my tank too- rinse them in dechlor water every few weeks that encourages shell changes

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

My smaller crabs adore the two shelves I have on the one side. The two large crabs can't get up there really. I use a deep shelf for moss and some shells and a flat one for food/water.

5. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Anyone here that use these second levels have pictures? I still have a little bit of a hard time visualizing how I should set this all up right :confused:

6. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

You can check out my pics here

7. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

WizKidsMom- Those are amazing!! : ( I'm jealous. ; )

8. Mckenny

Very nice pictures! :)

Strawberryskittle...if you click on FORUM, scroll down and click on The HCRU Family Photo Album, there are a lot of posts with tank setup pics also. :)

9. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

WizKid, your tank is amazing!

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

WizKidsMom, I LOVE your tat! :D Since your a Harry Potter lover, can you tell HERMEZ about Hogwarts? She's a wizard, but she never even heard of it before!!

11. crabalicious

Wow, what a nice ISO. Mine is so boring. I guess I need to dress it up. I have so much extra crab stuff all over my house! I have to start rearranging my habitats tomorrow. And figure out what to do with that frog.

12. Mckenny

Call your local Humane Society and see if they can take it or possibly know of someone who can. Also, you could put it in the classifieds of your local paper. Sometimes if it's free they don't charge anything for advertising. Also put it on Craig's List in the pet section. Good luck...:)

13. WizKidsMom

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My ISO was actually set up as the main tank, until I got a bigger tank. I just left everything in it.

Hogwarts - the school for wizards. I thought all wizards knew of it. :)

14. crabalicious

I found a nice lady on freecycle who was experienced with amphibians and reptiles. Hopefully he's enjoying lots of nasty crickets in his new home.

15. Laughs O Lot

Good job! :) Did you move your crabs into the 30g yet?

16. crabalicious

Yes, I cleaned it out and set it up the night I got rid of the frog. I put them in there yesterday, and they seem to be enjoying the waterfall and one has been using the shell shop quite a bit. Ha! He finally changed out of his painted and chipped nasty shell, and I snatched it from him before he could change his mind.

I have to take pictures of my crab tanks to post....right after I read the thread on picture taking tips. Glare sucks.

17. Laughs O Lot

Cool! :D Do you know where to get a waterfall? I always wanted one for my crabs!

18. crabalicious

I'm not sure cuz mine is created by my filter thing. It naturally pumps it over the top so I added rocks around the side of it to give it a more natural look. I'm not sure what brand it is. I'll have to look into that soon to find more filters for it. I know I've seen them online though. I let you know if I find them again.

19. WizKidsMom

Mine is a fish tank filter that can stand in the pool. They do make a water fall in different sizes but there is no filter on it and the water gets gunky. The filter lasts about a month and collects the small cocofiber pieces (it looks like dirt on the filter).

The downside to it - it sometimes splashes out of the pool making the substrate super wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.