1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29 Gallon Build Log

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by OneOnion, Mar 29, 2010.

1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

This is the build log for the 29 gallon I got for my birthday a month ago. I'm planning on having the hermit crabs I have now plus 2 Es and 2 Ruggies(maybe another exotic instead of ruggies, not sure yet). So, in total that would be 4 PPs 4 Es and 2 Ruggies. So, in this tank I'm planning on having a fake rock wall background(polystyrene coated in cement) and a built in pool, with lots of plants. I'm going for a kind of jungle look here, with vines crawling up the walls and hemp nets.

So far in the last 2 days I carved the polystyrene and added the first layer of cement. I also siliconed the plexiglas into a pool type thing. Here's a picture of what the wall looks like so far:
    [img=400x300]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5915/img0152v.jpg[/img]
    And, the picture of the pool
    [img=400x300]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/487/img0156oa.jpg[/img]
    As you can see, it's kind of a sideways T shape forming 2 separate areas: one for salt water, one for fresh. I am also making the steps out of carved polystyrene covered in cement. I also did my first leak test, and had 3 leaks. Siliconed them immediately. Hopefully there won't be anymore, I'll test again in 2 days.

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Very nice :) I like it when people get creative with their tanks. I always try to find new ways to upgrade my tank. Are you sure the cement can`t chip off or that the hermies can`t pick at it. Also, I like how you setup your water bassins. It is a good idea, I had tried something similar with a big tupperware, they problem was cleaning. Since you can`t really take out the water bins, I would strongly suggest a bubbler that you split and have in each of your bins. It would keep the water from becoming stagnant and you wouldn`t have to change it as often. Also for cleaning it, you could just take out like half the water and add to that every 4-5 days if you have a bubbler. You wouldn`t change the whole thing, but it would be enough to keep it clean, unless they trash it with earth. Which brings me to my last point, making a little barrier between your pools and your earth. I use a vine with leaves that I set along the pools. That way, they have to go over the leaves and won`t drag as much earth into the pools.

Good job so far though. :)

3. OneOnion

Yup, it's always great finding new ideas for hermit crab tanks. And, regarding the cement chipping thing, I'm almost positive that they won't break through it once there are 3 layers on, and just to be safe I'll try using tweezers to break a part off. And other people use this technique for dart frogs and aquariums, so I'm sure it won't chip from the humidity. If I see any suspicious behavior, though, I'll rethink things. And yes, a bubbler seems like a great idea; I was thinking about doing a waterfall type thing like you did, but it was too small for that and was looking for an alternative. An air stone would be perfect. Thanks for the ideas, and any other ideas/suggestions/questions/comments/critiques/concerns/life problems are welcome, too.
    - - - - -
    Anyway, I have the pictures of the steps coated in the first layer of cement. First pic is just how they look, second is how they're going to be in the tank(they're not pushed to the walls because the silicone is still drying). Hope you like them!
    [img=400x300]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3609/img0157b.jpg[/img]

[img=400x300]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/940/img0158lk.jpg[/img]

4. OneOnion

well, I was picking it up and the whole thing broke in half. I guess it's a 2-piece background now.  :scream:

5. LordRhal

People use cement and other materials for frogs and amphibians but those frogs won't try and eat their background :p
    Your steps looks really nice. Sucks that your background broke though. I'm sure it'll end up looking nice :)

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

FANTASTIC!! One_Onion... :rockz:
    Great Ideas!  :straw:

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Use some aquarium sealant and make it one piece again. It looks very nice.

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You will probably want an actual filter for your water basins as opposed to just a pump blowing water into them. A filter will keep the water from going bad and can be used to suck out stuff that gets dropped in and is too small for you to grab, and the return will do the same thing as a bubbler.

9. LordRhal

emma, given the size of his actual ponds. With the steps in them, I doubt he'd have the room to put in a filter and have it deep enough for them to soak. Although it is a good idea if he can make it fit.

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Theres some really tiny filters out there. Check petdiscounters.com

11. imported_hermies4life

imported_hermies4life (Micro Crab)

Awesome idea! I would love to be able to be that creative!! Nice going!

12. OneOnion

Update! To fix the broken background, I decided to cut a sheet of styrofoam the size of the background, and glue it on the back of the background so it sticks together again. From there, I'll cement over the crack and just be extra careful, carrying it on a board. Thickening the background will make 1 pool about an inch smaller than the other pool, but that's not too bad and the stairs should still fit. I ran out of cement so I'm a day behind going to get more today, and I'm about to do a second test for leaks.

EDIT: Alright! First test, no leaks so far! I'm going to leave it for 24 hours so that I know there's no weak spot or anything. I filled the first compartment only so I know that there won't be any leaks from first compartment to second compartment, I sure hope that makes sense.

13. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

i use this for both salt and fresh water pools, http://www.petdiscounters.com/c70/c244/Smallworld-Filter-p6704.html I change the water completely every few months. It works with an airpump so no need for an airstone, you are getting a bubbler and filter all in one. If you enter the word hermies in the coupon code box before check out you get a 10% discount.

14. OneOnion

Yeah, I'll probably use this. Is it possible if I could get 2 of them to work using one airpump using a t valve? I already have one airpump and tubing. http://www.petco.com/product/109907/PETCO-Brass-Airline-T-Valve.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGooglebase-_-Fish-_-PETCO-_-1191098&mr:trackingCode=F0F1EB15-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA Or I can even make my own filter, there are DIY filters out there.

EDIT: Sadly, there was a tiny drip leak in the compartment. It was literally 1 drop every 3 seconds. Soooo close. Anyway, I took out the water and siliconed the leak, will try again in 2 days.

15. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Yes you can use one airpump thats all i got and used the T section and i even put the air control valves so you can control the bubbles. I wouldnt use the metal ones though get a plastic one.

16. OneOnion

Alright, well I made some type of makeshift DIY filter, but ended up using it for a new betta I got today xD .