1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26g tank - need heat help

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by TiNk3R, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiNk3R

TiNk3R Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a 26gal aquarium that house 8 small to medium hermies. (All pp) They really love it but I want to get a couple strawberries. I can keep the humidity where I want it, but the temp drops. It's almost always at 80, but Ive been noticing it dipping down to 73-78ish in the early morning.

I am using a big UTH heater (underneath half of it) so half the sand is warm and half cold.

I am using a light fixture with 2x25watt nightglo bulbs that shine through the glass on the fixture.

I'm using regular playsand from home depot (I might switch to a much finer/white sand here ASAP)

So any general advice/comments/suggestions regarding any aspect would be great. I want to make sure these little buggers have the best they can get.

Thank you
    Tink

PS: I have two shower tubs with EE that they almost ALWAYS chill in. All the time till night time anyways. Anyway to coax them out more often?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4644/crabitat2.jpg

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

try getting another UTH and place it on the side near the bottom
    they come in diffrent sizes so you may be able to use a smaller one then what you all ready have.

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Don't get any strawberries unless you get a bigger tank. To house 2 tiny sized straws you need at least a 20 gallon long tank just for them. If you have other crabs, you need at least a 40 gallon breeder. Seriously, unless you're about to majorly upgrade your tank, strawberries aren't the way to go. There's a lady (Marie) at HCP who has I think 3 or 4 medium strawberreis all by themselves in a 40g breeder and she still thinks that it's too small - the tank is continually trashed because they don't have enough room to move around. Straws are even more active than any other crab - they travel more per night in the wild and, as such, need much, much bigger tanks than any other variety of crab.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

To keep the temp up at night you could get a moonglo light. The provide lots of heat but no light and you could keep it on 24/7 without messing up the 12 hours on 12 hours of daylight thing.

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

The trick is the room or increase the watts in the night bulbs-no matter how torked up my tank is if the room gets chilly then the tanks struggle- at night you can also use this look for the "foil" looking covers
    Lights~Camera~Action!

they help immensly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.