1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 things!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Cheyenne, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Guest

1. My sand on the bottom is very wet, like mud. What should I do? My humidity is 80 right now. So what should I do?
    2. My log is moldy. I took it out. How long and at what temp should I bake it at to kill of anything in it?

Thanks! Please answer soon!

~Cheyenne~

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

The ants & friends used to make soup out of the sand in the 10G when they lived there.  As little as they were, I still can't understand how or why they did it!  That soggy sand is no good for molters!  I would probably do an immediate deep clean, just in case anyone is down in that soggy sand.....it is a for sure that tunnels will collapse if the substrate is that wet.

And about your log....
    What I do, is hold the wood in double-strength boiling salt water for about 10 minutes.  I keep it totally submerged in the boiling water with tongs.  Once out, I then bake it at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.  Make sure to keep an eye on it while baking....you don't want it to catch fire.

3. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Guest

Awsome! Thanks Kathy! I did a semi-deep clean. I took EVERYTHING out, and into the 10G they allll went. Luckily, nobody was dug down. Acually, ever single crab was in the second levels!! lol. Then once everything was out, I took the EE by handfull, and squished all the water out. I had to do it 2 X's!! lol. For the sand, I took out all the major wet sand at the bottom, and added dry instead. Then everything went back in. I also boiled my shells! So now everything is back in. Althought humidity is 75 and temp 70 at the moment, all and all, everything went well.

The wood. I'll do that. Thanks!

Again, THANK YOU SOOO MUCHH!!!!
    :thanks: :banana: :shake:

4. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

I'd take out some of the wet sand, and add dry until it's not so soggy.   I've never had that problem, my sand always dries out!!!

as for 80% humidity, mine is usually around 85%, so no need to worry about that.

Oh, and I scrub off any mold with a toothbrush!  :chuckle:

5. Sialea

Sialea Guest

My humidity hangs around 80%-the straws need it that way I think.  And no matter how hard I have tried to keep some dry sand, it always get damp but not soggy in both tanks. 

6. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Guest

Alright. humidity and temp were just getting settled. Now heat is 80-82 and humidity is 82-85. Which is realllly wierd, cause I just dried everything out, PLUS Im not using any bubbler pools, when before I had 2!?!?