1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 questions

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by OneOnion, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have 2 questions about hermit crabs...

1. When they molt, how far down do they go? Do they go down a few inches, centimeters, or is it different every time?

2. Sometimes I see my bigger hermit crabs like Buster and Deadly tackling and sometimes it looks like they're punching with their big claw at each other. I usually move the one that looks like it's fighting and move it to a corner or something. Should I let the hermit crabs fight or move them?

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

For question 1 They usually dig down 2-3X their height.
    For question 2 I would keep them there. Unless one is newly molted I would not bother. Mine usually don't bug each other as far as I'm concerned.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree with cococrisp you should have substrate so they could dig 2-3 times their height. Mine sometimes dig all the way to the bottom.
    In the wild, hermit crabs have feeler fights or leg duels to develop an order of the pack. Like wolves, their is an alpha (the leader) who is usually the largest and the strongest. I saw Crusty pushing the others before so I guess that's what he was doing. Don't think they're being mean when they do it; it's natural for them. Crusty's always a sweet little boy.

4. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

How long have you had these hermies again? How long have they been together?
    Did you bathe them before putting them together? Sometimes a bath in the same fresh water pool will help them "smell" more like each other and make them be more accepting of each other.
    Crabs will assert their dominance, but if it looks like one is "rocking" the other, that's a shell fight, and could end up in a wounded or dead hermie. It will look like one is trying to dislodge the other from his shell.

The dominance thing should settle down after a few days, but shell fights could continue. Make sure you have plenty of shells for the crabs to choose from, of the kind they prefer and of sizes a little smaller, a little larger, and of the same size they are in now, so they have plenty of choice. Sometimes they even like to get into a smaller shell for a while!

5. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Thanks, guys. You're right, the fighting did kind of stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.