1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Questions

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by alli'smommy, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have 2 hermie huts. One is purple, so I finally caught on that it is just as harmful as painted shells and removed it. Does anyone have a neat little trick to remove the purple from the hut or is it just trash?? Kinda like the shells-boil them to remove the paint.
    Also, they are always crammed under the one small hut. So much so that the hut is raised off the ground!! So I bought a nice big natural hut for them and not one stinkin' crab will go under it. I put a couple under it and they all go right back under the same small hut!! Why is this? Is there something wrong with the new hut, or do they just need to adjust to it? I boiled it for about 5min before putting it in their home.

2. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

alli'smommy

Welcome to the wonderful world of those who 'do what they wanna do when they wanna do it.' Believe me, dealing with two teenagers was easier. At least they usually wore the clothes I bought them.

As for the huts, you say they are painted. I don't know about huts, but for painted shells I boiled them in saltwater for at least 5 minutes and scraped the paint off with one of the box cutter types knifes that you can't take on airplanes because the blade is 3/8" long and you certainly could use that to kill the pilot and copilot and commandeer the plane.

But I digress.

As for those uppity crabs and what you, in you love for them, and spending your hard earned money, others would say leave them alone. But not me. It's like the naughty spot. Put them in there and eventually they'll understand that they have to stay there and if they don't, Super Nanny will come and teach them how to stay in their huts.

Hope I've helped.

3. alli'smommy

I know the trick with boiling the shells, I have done that to save $$! LOL
    I just wondered if anyone knew how to get paint off the huts, or if you can?!!

4. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

The huts don't work well, especially if they are coconut! I tried it and scraped and scraped and finally just threw it out. It was way more trouble than it was worth and in the end there were just too many chips left on there that I couldn't remove!

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Ohh, as for the crabs under the hut, I think they enjoy the closeness of each other. When I go the markets (where I bought mine from) they are always at least 6 crammed under each hut. I was there Sunday and he lifted one up and they just came falling out, one after another. It was quite funny! Don't worry they don't go in the new one....sometimes they just take their sweet old time. Like I said, I have a net on the back wall and sometimes they are all up and down and sometimes I see no there for weeks at a time....guess they have to plan those as backpacking trips...takes time to organize. LOL!!!

6. alli'smommy

Yeah, the paint seems pretty much "soaked" into the coconut!! I boiled, scrubbed, boiled, scrubbed---have given up!! It's still just as purple as ever and the brush I was using is now purple also!!! They must soak the huts in dye for ever!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.