1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 QUESTIONS! PLEASE REPLY!!!!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cluelesscrabber, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

Hi. [​IMG] I recently switched from a shell dish with sponges to a water dish without sponges. last night i felt the water and it was really COLD! pretty chilly! is it supposed to be that way???

that was question 1.

question 2: also, do i still need to give my hermies baths now that they can bathe when they like?

2. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

1.When I first put water in the tank,it's finger-numbing cold because I keep it in the fridge.But it warms up a smidge because of the temperature in the tank.I don't think there's anything wrong with the water being cold...Maybe someone else can answer this question better.... [​IMG]

2.You do not need to bathe your crabs now that they have deeper water dishes(i'm guessing that that's what you meant when you said they can bathe when they like...?).The whole point of baths is to hydrate your crabs and flush out anything in their shells.But they can do that themselves now![​IMG]

Hope that helped some.[​IMG]

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

If the temperature of your crabitat is okay, then the temp of the water should be okay, too. If the water feels overly cold, you might want to check your temperature gauge for accuracy. But cold is relative -- maybe you were especially warm when you put your finger in there. [​IMG]

If you crabs can get into the water dishes to fill their shells, then there is no need to bathe them. They would prefer to take care of it themselves so that they can regulate the salinity of their shell water.

4. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Moire is right, you may want to check your temperature gauge if the water felt aborormally cold. It might be calibrated incorrectly or broken.

5. crazeecrabber103

How do you calibrate a thermometer?I think mine may be a little off because the tank felt real warm and toasty when I stuck my hand in to take out the water dishes,but the thermometer only said 71.5..[​IMG]

6. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Answer for #2, you don't HAVE to bathe just when they mites, etc.

8. crazeecrabber103

Thanks for the links p.a.m.![​IMG]....But I needed to know how to calibrate a thermometer,not a hygrometer.Is that even possible...?

9. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I don't know about calibrating, but you can test to be sure it's accurate by using another thermometer at the same time and seeing if you get the same reading.

10. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Here is a link to test probe type thermometers-which really doesn't help unless you have a meat thermometer or one that has a probe and is used in the oven. If you do have a probe type thermometer, you can test it for accuracy and then place it side by side with your digital in your tank to see how accurate your digital is... I haven't tried it yet myself, but it may prove helpful.

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/pubs/tempdoc.htm#CALIBRATION

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.