1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 questions, one about nails and one about shell

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by LSHermies, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

Ok I read that hermit crabs have black nails after a molt. I know none of my crabs had them when I bought them. I know no one has molted yet..but I noticed some all of a sudden have some nails.
    So can they grow them w/o the molt?

My one crab in a painted shell keeps trimming the opening of his shell. Is this normal? He was shell shopping one day and I know he wanted to switch but just seemed stuck. Could his abdomin be stuck? He does not appear to be stuck other wise. This is the second time I have found him on his side trimming his shell.

2. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

The only reason newly molted hermit crabs have these "black nails" is because they grew em back on. They fall off sometimes and other times they don't. So your hermit crabs probably just didn't lose them. As for shell trimming, yes, this is normal. They sometimes chip at their shells. It doesn't mean they're stuck to the shell or anything, they're just "customizing" it to their liking.

3. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

My guys did not have nails though.
    and I have one that has part of this bottom limb missing...

The ones that have them were down for 3 days but that is not fast enough for a molt right? I figure they were destressing.
    Can they get longer? or are they the length they are going to be right after a molt?

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

A micro can molt that quick- "new" nails are really noticable--they ususally dont lose them entirely but they pare down as they climb and what not- I will post a pic in a minute my computer is being goofy

also they will be hairy just after a molt and often brighter

see the toes on these 2 pics they are fresh ones

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Are your crabs more hairy than usual? That is another sign that they molted. When my medium Spooky surface molted, he did it in less than a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.