1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 questions. Feeding and shell change.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Jenayy2011, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenayy2011

Jenayy2011 Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok, So we'll start out with feeding.

It seems like my crab, Boxy, NEVER eats!
    I heard that they eat most at night, but there's never any less food when I check. I feed him dried shrimp that you let soak in water, as well as a few fruits and veggies. But Boxy never eats any of it. Help? Oh, and my aunt told me that the main reasons the crabs will pinch you is that it's either afraid, upset or isn't being fed enough. But he's never pinched me except for once when it was completely my fault, so that makes me think that he infact IS eating.

Second, Boxy lives in an itttty bittty conch looking shell, and it's way way too small. I'm worried he's stuck[lololol].. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous. But the conchish shell he's in now really does look extremely tiny, and he's a bit big. Also, would the lack of a leg slow the shell changing, or would it akehim wantto molt or change shells faster?

2. justine

justine "Never Molted"

Well, if Boxy is active (not lethargic or hanging out of his shell), I would not worry too much. My crabs seem to go through phases where they hardly eat, and then at other times they will empty the food bowl. Temp and humidity can effect how active they are. And it is true that they tend to be more active at night.

How long have you had Boxy? Is he your only crab?

3. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Also they really don't eat very much so it may look like he isn't eating anything when in fact he is. Also do you have a variety of shells in the tank? He may only like the style he's in and want nothing else or he may hate that style and is waiting for something different.

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Mine also have days where they seem to not eat, then days where they've pigged out and made a mess everywhere.
    I also have a couple stubborn crabs that refuse to change shells also. My biggest, Georgina, recently moved into a shell that looks very small for her (she's big) yet she seems very content in it. She has a dozen shells to choose from, including her old shell but favors this new one.

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Try smoothing out the sand around the food bowl...then, when you wake up in the morning see if there are any new "footprints"...

6. Jenayy2011

Jenayy2011 Hi, I'm New Here!

well, I haven't had him for a while, maybe a month or so. And yes, he is my only crab.
    I figured that he may need "companions" but i can never get to a pet store.

Well, I have about 3 or 4 different shells in his tank, all different sizes and styles, and he'll crawl around, on top of, and move one shell around the tank, but he wont actually go into it.

Also, a few nights ago, I went to sleep, and the sand was layed down, and eat, but when I woke up and checked on him, he had comepletely made a mess of everything in the tank, I was pretty confused, and thought maybe my brother had done it, so i put it back to normal, woke up the next morning and it was demolished again, in the same way it had been done before. I was wondering what that could mean.

I was also wondering how i couold find out what kind of crab he is, if anyone could help me with that, I would so greatly appreciate it.

7. justine

justine "Never Molted"

This website is helpful to determine species:

«~ºØ¤¶²Ð

(You may have to select English for the language.)

About the shells, I don't know if anyone else has had this experience but, none of my crabs have EVER gotten into a shell that they sell at the pet store (that are specifically sold for hermit crabs). Most of mine prefer turbo style shells that I bought online or at craft stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.