1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 of my favs back up! :D

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by starmaiden, Jan 29, 2007.

1. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Lanka, a pretty maroon colored ruggie, reappeared this week after about 6 weeks down molting.

[img=300x225]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/akeverline/hermitcrabs07/lankamolt1_2.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x225]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/akeverline/hermitcrabs07/lankamolt1_3.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x225]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/akeverline/hermitcrabs07/lankamolt1_1.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x225]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/akeverline/hermitcrabs07/lankamolt1_5.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x225]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/akeverline/hermitcrabs07/lankamolt1_6.jpg[/img]

And last night just before bed who did I see back after a 10 week molt? Surprise! It was Mariana!!! One of my most absolute faves! I was starting to worry about her too! I was soo excited, I grabbed her and took a quick picture! :shuffle:

[img=300x225]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/akeverline/hermitcrabs07/marianamolt1_1.jpg[/img]

2. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Awww, Lanka is soo pretty!  I love how she matches so well with her shell... she is adorable. 

Mariana looks so pretty!

Congrats on the successful molts!  :blowheart:

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:blower: OMG the coloring on that ruggie is truly unique! The face on Mariana is truly cute no wonder a fav!

4. starmaiden

Thanks! I'm pleased bc Lanka didn't lose much coloring on the first molt! Usually ruggies lose coloring for me their first molt in captivity and then gain it back over the next few. But Lanka didn't go down and molt right away, so he probably had time to recover missing nutrients.

And Mariana just has a nice outgoing personality to go with that cute face! I have missed her friendly presence in my tanks!

On a sad note, I lost Omega! :tear: He seemed to be doing really well, up and about eating and drinking...I found him dead by the water dish! It was really sudden and surprising! Nothing unusual happened and none of my other crabs died, so I think it was just PPS since he was barely a month old. :rain: I seriously cried! For me, PPs are a more fragile species than ruggies!  :tear:

5. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Lanka is a stunning color!!!  Very unique coloring for a ruggie.....so pretty!  And Mariana has some pretty awesome coloring, too!  She looks all fuzzy....I just love how fuzzy rugs get when they molt!

Isn't that funny how you have lots of luck with rugs, and not so much with PPs?  I thought that you were like me, and it was the other way around.  It is very rare that I suffer a PP death, even to PPS.  Rugs, however, astound me.....I lose them for no reason at all.  My good friend also has the same problem with ruggies.  I would also guess that I lose almost 1/2 the rugs I bring home to PPS.  My tank conditions are in very good range, so I doubt it's that.

I wonder if distributors where the crabs are kept are the deciding factor on how different species fair.  If my friend & I are getting the rugs from Petco, I wonder if the distributor that our Petco's use could be responsible.  Maybe your PPs are coming from a bad distributor as well.

6. grams

grams Guest

Oh man, I'm sorry you lost Omega.  I lost a little micro yesterday and looking at his little eyes, I just cried.  He had so much spunk.  I named him holey because he came in this awful shell full of jagged holes.  He was an E.  I don't know what happened either.  He was always strutting around the tank, eating and drinking.  Then yesterday he climbed into this barnacle I have in the tank.  Last night I looked in the hole where he was and he had fell out of his shell.  :tear:  I've only had him 10 days but I felt the loss! 
    All my other ones have dug down now.  I hope their all okay.  I am so tempted to check on them, but I don't...just keep refilling their water dishes and food and hoping someone comes up soon and that they'll come up alive! 
    I'm so happy Lanka came up.  I know you were! :) thanks for the pictures.

7. justanoob

justanoob Guest

Wow Star, they are beautiful rugs...congrats :partyhat4: I am very sorry you lost Omega :tear:

8. Wow!  Gorgeous Crabbies!  Congrats!

Sorry to hear about Omega.  Odd that PP's are so fragile for you.  For me, they're nearly indestructible (ie:Bob the wanderer).  But I love my Rugs.  They're so sweet!

9. starmaiden

Thanks! And I lose more PPs to post purchase stress and bad molts than any other. If I can get them past their first molt in captivity, they do great, but it's just getting them over that initial hump. It must be supplier related because I've lost close to half the C. clypeatus I've ever gotten to PPS or bad molts, especially when they are teeny or micro.  :tear: Out of the 7 teeny and micro PPs I've bought, only two have lived past the first molt, even with ISO and the gradual adjustment of temp and humidity from petstore to ideal conditions to prevent shock.

But ruggies and Es seem to do best for me. I've had no E losses so far, and very few ruggie losses. To soon to say how my Straws will be. Everyone says they are fragile, but so far they seem to be doing well.

10. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Wow! I love your ruggies, they look awesome! Very pretty colors  :giverose:

I can't believe we have the same luck when it comes to PP's! I suffer more losses with this species than any other, whether it be molt related or PP's.
    Just like you, E's and ruggies have been the most hardiest. They seem to snap out of PPS quicker, eat more and have really good molts. I can't complain about my straws either. But man, are my C. clypeatus  sensitive!

Sorry about Omega.  :pinkr2:

11. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

i also don't have much luck w/ PPs and i refuse to buy any more.  i've only had one straw but i don't want any more of them either.  i'll only be buying Es, Indos and Rugs in the future.  only way i'll get anything else is if i adopt.  i havent had any Indos die at all.

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've got 5 PP's in my tank waiting to be adopted. No problems with them yet, other then them tearing apart my tank. Sorry you lost Omega  :hug2:

13. starmaiden

One of the reasons this particular crab was named "Omega" was because it was the last crab I would be buying for awhile.