1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 new crabs

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by kiva, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiva

kiva "Never Molted"

Went to PetSmart today just to "look" and found (much to my surprise and my fiancees chagrin) that they had PP's!!! Never, ever have I seen them there before sooooo, I brought 2 home. Only to discover that one of them was already dead :( but the other seems to be just fine and getting along with the E crowd. My fiancee` called PetsMart immediately and we'll be exchanging the deceased for (hopefully) another PP tomorrow morning.

2. Kaelink

Kaelink "Never Molted"

Heh, it's been the opposite for me.
    All PetSmart ever has here are PPs.

Sadly, the first crab I ever bought there was DOA, as well. They exchanged him, fortunately with no concerns.

3. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Huh,that's never happened to me before. That has to suck but,atleast you get your money's worth. Keep us updated about your new friends.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

When you pick out new crabs, take some time and hold them. Take the ones that come out of their shell to greet you and explore. An active crab is a good sign that they are alive and stand a chance of survival.

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Even if it takes a while - talk sweet to it or make soft clicking sounds. The store worker will probably think you are crazy, but when the crab comes out of the shell and starts walking around you will be deemed the expert. :cool:

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I had that happen as well only once- with a baby E--

But yes the warmth of your hand or to blow into the shell makes them come out-CONGRATS on the darling and I cant wait to see them :D

7. kiva

kiva "Never Molted"

Went back to PM today and got a "replacement". This one is a bit smaller than some of the others but he/she is very active. The others in the store shelled up and stayed like that but this one quickly came back out. And as soon as he/she was bathed and put in the tank it was up and checking out the scene. I actually found it sitting smack dab in the middle of the food bowl chowing down.
    I think one of my E's may be molting (haven't seen him for nearly a week now) and he's going to have 2 new buddies to surprise him when he surfaces.

8. krackersmom2

When Zeus came home, he ate so much I thought he'd explode! He still eats a lot and leaves behind his "presents". ;)

9. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Aww. Sorry to hear about the loss. That's always a bummer.

It's the opposite for me too. I have to travel atleast 20 miles from here to find the "E" crowd. :p

Gluck with your newbs :)

Meg

10. krackersmom2

I still haven't located an "E" crowd around here. I really should do some calling around and network with the mom and pop shops. I would order online, but I"m just not up to spending a small fortune for shipping on a crabby. I'm enjoying my PPs!

11. crabs

crabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Im kinda new here so whats PP and E crowd stand for? I know that straw stands for strawberry but honestly thats about it. now I feel like a fool wait does PP stand for purple pincher? If it does I have four of them Big Bud- jumbo, Stripes-medium, B_ball-small, and Brownie-small!

12. krackersmom2

Yes, PP is purple pincher and E is Ecudorian...there's also Indos (Indonesians), Violas, Rugs (Ruggies), and Cavipes...

13. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I believe, if it's at all possible, that you try to buy from the pet store in your area that has the best facilities for the crabs. That way you're more likely to get a healthier crab.

I purchase mine from a place that has perfect conditions (it's not a pet store) and I've never had one die so far. When I get crabs from this place, they have already successfully moulted. And since I have had them, they all have had at least one successful moult.

14. wachfuleyez

wachfuleyez "Never Molted"

I Have A New Hermie (it A Girl) She Came In A Green Turbo, So Far I've Been Getting Females. This Is Funny I 've Had My Hermies For A Short Time A Gave Everyone A Name Too My Surprise I've Name To Females Males Name? I've Read On A Diff. Forum On How To Tell The Sexes So When I Did I Had To Rename Three. One Was A male!

15. wachfuleyez

wachfuleyez "Never Molted"

today! i Inherited Three New Hermies 1 Female 2 Males Due To The Owner Lack Of Space And Time. I Gave Them A New Home With Love And Care.(i Told Her She Can Have Them Back At Anytime) I Gave Them A Salt Water Bath (they Seemed To Like It?) Gave Them A Special Treat! All Seems Well They Have Plenty Of New Space To Explore And Things To Climb. Will Name Them Soon! Waiting (for Their Personalitys To Shine.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.