1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Molts

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Klabelle, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

So I believe 2 of my 3 crabs will be molting.
    I came home yesterday to my largest crab, Apollo, MIA and he still isn't around today
    Also I can see my little Hermes digging around for a spot
    (or maybe he's just digging but he never leaves his tree)
    :sad5: I'ma be so lonely.
    Apollo will take around a month or 2 I think....
    And Hermes should only be a week or 2.
    I hope Aphrodite doesn't decide to go down too,
    My tank will be too quite.

But I must question them....
    Why must they decide to do this while I
    go out of town to get their new tank?
    I was gonna clean it when I got home from school today
    but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

2. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

People might not agree with me but personally I do not believe hermits are as fragile as people make them out to be. I've had countless molts in my tank in the last 2 years given that I have 25.. If I had to wait for no one to be molting at any given time to change my stuff, it would be get done. So, I've moved recently molting crabs when I want to change things around, because I wouldn't want to crush them by setting stuff on top of them while they are underground.

I recently redid my tank (last week) and I found a couple that had molted, one that must have JUST molted not more than 24 hours before I moved him, he was very pale and I could tell he wasn't fully hardened yet. I put him in a pot aside, picked up the exo he hadn't eaten yet, cleaned the tank, then just put him back in a coco hut with half an egg shell and his old exo.. He spent a couple days in there and I could see him eating the exo and egg shell every now and then. He is perfectly fine now.

Honestly, I have NEVER lost a crab because I moved him while he was molting.. so 25 crabs,various sizes, 2 years, that is a lot of molting going on. I change my tank every 3 months.. used to do it more often the first year. People at first said I was lucky that no one died, but I am passed believing I am lucky. So yea, I don't even worry about it anymore, but hey, that's just me, if I'm still just being lucky, I should go buy a lotto ticket, lol.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

me too. I just did a deep clean and had a crab down for about 6weeks. I figured it was time to come up so I uncovered him only to find out it had not molted yet. He gave himself a bath ate and drank a bunch and two days later went back down. It molted about a week later. It has been 2 weeks since. His exo is gone and he should be ready to surface. But this one always takes its sweet little time.
    I have also had to uncover a couple that had just molted as LordRhal had cause of digging close to the spot where they were. I made the substrate a little deeper there. Dug a hole to the bottom put the crab in the hole with its exo and put a hermie hut over it and reburied it. They all surfaced in good shape. It only usually takes about a couple of hrs. to molt. This is when they are most at risk. Also a few days after. I would not recommend digging up a crab just for this reason. But I do agree. I do not think they are as fragile as some say. Especially if you have had them a while and not new.

4. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

mine don't have huts, they sleep in/under plastic trees, I don't quite have the money to get them huts right now
    my only concern is the fact I have a tank that is old and needs to be cleaned out, I don't want to dig them up and put them in a whole new environment where everything might not be completely washed (by some weird form of human error), I'd be more comfortable leaving them and then fixing up the new tank when they're all set.

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have always surfaced cleaned mine when I had molters, accidently found them while moving things, one did die and I think it was because he was stressed from a very cold spell that happened when we left to go to Kansas for 3 days, then when he came up he was attacked, then I had issues with mold in the iso, he was weak. The other that I found I just made it so the bully couldn't get to him & left him for a bit then moved to iso and put everything with him and left him alone for a week & he was fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.