1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Molted Crabs Up! Plus New PP's

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Dezzi, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

2 Of My Crabs have Molted!!! I am beyond Excited~! But, I did have an issue w/ my medium sized crab. Okay, I have 4 crabs, 1 is small (maxie), 2 are a tad larger (still small), and 1 is med. The 3 smaller crabs All went down 2 molt, at about the same time, so my Med. crab (Lee) was all by himself. I started 2 notice that he had stopped eating. For at least 6 Days, he had not eaten a Thing! And as far as I could tell, he didn't come out of his coconut either. So I decided to get another crab. (I planned to keep the new crab in my 10G tank & then after a while put Lee in W/ him until the smaller crabs were done molting, then put them all in the main tank). So I ended up getting 2 new Bigger crabs! (well, they are Big 2 me). So Lee was staying in the main tank until I was sure of no mites, Etc. W/ the New crabs. Then, One day I looked in the main tank & Lee had burrowed under. So I left him alone, but I think he bumped into 1 of my molters, because a while later I looked in & my small Spiral shell crab Maxie (who molted fine w/ the spiral shell! but has now changed into a turbo) was up & crawling around! I could tell he had molted because he was a little pale, but his shell seemed to be firm. I was worried he had not eaten all of his Exo, but I had no way 2 tell. Then, Lee comes back up! So I watched them closely, & I saw Lee walking quickly up 2 Maxie, I knew Maxie was scared but I had to see what was going 2 happen. Lee went up 2 Maxie & crawled on top of him, grabbed him & then they Both flipped over & Lee was still holding onto Maxie, I am sure he was going to harm him, So I took Lee out & put him in ISO. The next day, Another Molter came up! (Two Successful Molts!! & my 3rd molter is fine too, I can see him through the glass) So - I Bathed my 2 new crabs And Lee in the same water & put them in the 10G. Lee is Miserable in there! the new crabs pushed him just a little at first, but that was all, as far as I know. He just hides & won't move or eat. I don't trust him to put him back w/ my Molting crabs. I am not sure what 2 do. I am considering taking 1 of the new crabs back. I planned 2 have them all live together, after the molting, but I admit I am scared. So any advice? Have I got 2 many crabs now?

Also, is it possible for a crab 2 be stuck in a shell? 1 of my new crabs is At least Twice the size of his shell! His legs hang out, & they are SO squeezed together, that they are flattened across the top, & before he goes in, his eyes cross over each other! He has 0 room. When I bathed him, No air bubbles came out of his shell, he is Air tight in there! It is SO Sad! Yet, He did come out while in the water, & I had him in my hand W/ just his body under the water & his head out, he Loved it then! I held him like that 4 a while, & he didn't try to get out, or crawl up my arm, Maybe the water helped him not feel so cramped in the shell? I have pictures, so I may try to put some on here. I just know everyone will be Shocked when they see how big he is 4 the shell. He is A Beautiful crab though! He is all Red, With a gorgeous Bright purple claw. The prettiest crab I have seen - in person :) He is Very Sweet, Loves 2 be held too. I have plenty of shells for him 2 choose from. I am so sorry this is so Long! I have such mixed emotions right now! I am Over Joyed about my babies molting~! Yet, I am also worried about how this will all work out. I was so upset when Lee tried to hurt Little Maxie, is that because Maxie smelled different after the Molt? I was too scared 2 see what Lee's true intentions were, but like I said I could tell he meant business. So Please Any Help I Would be Very Grateful For! Thank you! - I will try 2 change my profile pic. to the 1 of the red new crab, if anyone wants to see it. I don't know how 2 add pic.s to threads, but I would Love to find out how! Then I could add several pic.s w/ different angles & when he is out too.

2. Dezzi

I hope these Pic.s look Okay.

Attached Files:

3. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

I've had crabs in too small of shells before. They do change when they are darn tootin' ready. How long have you had that one that is in the small shell? What size cabitat did you say you had (10g)? How many crabs do you have? 4? They may be in too small of a tank and that's why the aggression. I don't have any problems in my tank with any molting crabs (so far). I have a 29g tall tank with 11 PP's and have plenty of room for them all. I have a second level in my tank, so that helps everyone have space to be alone if they choose. Every molter I've had has had no problems (so far, keepin' fingers crossed) with other crabs. I don't put any of my crabs in iso to molt, I just let them be and they're fine. Maybe you need more room and that is the problem? Hope everything gets sorted out. Keep us posted. :)

4. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

The pics look great! Congrats on your two molts. I just got my sixth molt completed. Professor just dug down to molt, so maybe he'll make it seven. :)

5. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

At first I thought there was a shell fight going between Maxie and Lee. Are the crabs closer in size now? You may need more shells. I think, though, that the guys must be all kinds of crowded in there. Until you can give them a larger home, maybe you could install a moss pit and a climbing vine to get up to it. All of my crabitats have moss pits and the crabs love to bury in them and climb from one to another. Good luck with your crabs.

6. Dezzi

My main tank is a 20G, and I have the 2 new crabs in the 10G, with Lee now. While the other 3 smaller crabs are all done molting, and back in action. For the size, I was either going to get a larger main tank, or custimize the 2 tanks together. Maybe side by side, with holes cut inbetween. I know I have to have a special kind of seal to put over the glass after it is cut, I am not sure what kind that is though. If anyone knows, Please inform me. You have a 2nd level in your tank? That sounds really cool, how did you do it? I also wanted to get them a net to climb on too. And you have lots of PP's and never had a problem? That is awesome! Do you think I should put Lee back in the main tank now? That's what he wants.

When I had my 4 origional crabs all together in the 20G, they were fine with the space. But, I know that 2 bigger crabs will be too much for a 20G.

I am sure that it was not a shell fight, Lee is much bigger than Maxie, and at the time Maxie was still in his spiral shell, which Lee could never fit into. I have Tons of shells 4 Lee, and he is a shell shopper! Lee is not in the picture of the 3 crabs that come up with my posts. But, I watched Lee with the 2 new crabs today, and he is still very unhappy. After I take him out for a while, when I go 2 put him back, he just clings onto my hand. I have decided to put 1 of the 2 new crabs up for adoption. I can't take him back to that cage in the store.

The crab that is in the pic. that is too big for the shell, I have had for about a week. The other new 1, has changed into a turbo & it is a great fit for him :) He was too big for the shell I got him in too, but no where near as bad as the red crab. The first 3 pic.s are ALL of him Completely in his shell! That is as far as he can go in. I also noticed that when he comes out far enough that I can see & touch his inner small legs - that I have never seen them move. So I gently touched 1 with my finger tip, and he didn't even seem to feel it. Maybe I just worry 2 much! They have lots of shells too, So he will change when he is ready- I just hope soon.

Thank you All for responding:) I am Very happy about my first Molts!!!

7. Hermie's rule

That thingy that you put over freshly cut glass is called aquarium sealant. :) Also, I have a 10 gallon tank and a 5 gallon tank. I need to get some more room somehow. My parents will NOT let me get another tank and they won't let me cut the glass either. So, this is how I'm planning on doing it: Cut 2 holes in both screen tops and buy a hamster tunnel. Secure the hamster tunnel somehow to the two holes and then let the crabs run free!

Go to Vicki's store for hammocks for the crabs: Hermit Crab Addiction - Welcome To The Hermit Crab Addiction
    I don't have the time to tell you about a second level right this second as I've gotta run! Wish you luck!

PS if you let the herms molt in the main tank they'll be fine unless they surface molt. If your herm is above ground, I'd transfer him to the main tat.

8. Dezzi

I REALLY NEED HELP! I just went to look in on my crabs, (the 10G tank w/ the 2 new crabs & Lee) and the 2 New larger crabs were in a cut out log, and they seemed to be sleeping next to each other, So I went to pick up the red crab, that is too big for his shell & the one in the Pic.'s. And when I lifted him, He fell out of his shell! He is Dead!! I am SO UPSET!!! :( I was shocked! So I lifted him out, & the shell, and took both in the kitchen to look at, I put a little warm water on him to make sure he was gone, and he didn't move at all. The water that ran out from under him, was a brownish, bloody color. I looked in his shell, and I can see what looks like a blood clot. So I got a flashlight, and looked closer into it, and on the inside of his shell, where the shell twists out, there is a hole there, with black hunks of stuff in it. I examined him closely, to see if maybe the other crab had tried to pull him out, or if there was any damage to him, and he is intact. No signs of any fighting, at least that I can tell. Of course I don't know why the other crab would have even wanted his shell anyway. So Now I am Freaking out!!!! Maybe he tried to come out of his shell? because I can tell that at least his head & legs were out some when he died.

If he was sick, then I have exposed Lee to him!!! I have Lee in Iso now, and I am going to go and clean the tank Completely, and bathe both the crabs. Although, I have a feeling that he didn't die from being sick, I Really think it was the shell. Maybe that hole inside had something to do with it???? Please someone Help me! I am so Sad now. He seemed fine! Was active, very alert and loved to be held and his eyes were clear and followed any movement sharply. He moved okay too. I know sometimes they can die and there will not be a reason that can be figured out. But, I am just sick to my stomach about this. When I got the 2 new crabs, There were MANY that were too large for their shells, and after I- ONCE Again Talked to them about the shells & lack of empty ones in the tank, (& I pretty much got a "sigh" from them :mad:) I asked if I could bring extra shells that I have & put them in the tank. he said "okay sure" I am going to go to the store today, and take the crab (& his horrible shell) to show them, I am not letting them have him though. I am thankful my daughter is not here for this. I Miss Him Already. He was A Very Sweet Crab. We had decided 2 name him "Big Red" Everyday, I eagerly peeked in, to see if he had ditched his shell for a larger one. My Heart is Crushed over this.

The tank temp. & Humidity was good, they had proper water, & salt water, as well as good foods to eat. Someone Please Talk To me.

9. Hermie's rule

Dezzi, I'm so sorry! :( It could've been shell rot or something like that. How long have you had him? Or could have been bacterial infection. You should always keep new herms in the iso for at least 2 weeks after purchasing them. I'm really really sorry. Don't friek out. You'll be alright. The crabs will be alright. Your a good crabby mommy; you just didn't know what was going on.

10. Dezzi

I think you are right Hermie's Rule, about the shell rot. Because right after I found him, his shell smelled Terrible! And I don't think he had been gone long at all. He was not stiff. When he was alive, I would pick him up while he was out of his shell, and hold him close 2 my face (which he Loved, & he ADORED me 2 softly kiss his Big Claw & Legs - this was NOT a Shy crab!) & I didn't smell anything then, but he was packed pretty tight in that shell, so that's probably why.

Lee seems to be fine though, He is still not eating. But he is active & Very Happy when I let him out of the 10G to hold him & let him play on the floor. So I don't think he is sick. Maybe still De-stressing. I know if I get another crab, I will def. Iso for 2 Weeks! What happened to Big Red was Horrible, but it could have been a Lot Worse, had it been something else, that could passed on to Lee. OR the crabs in the tank he was in when I got him! Anyway, Thank you for responding & telling me that I'm a Good Crab Mom:) I think I really needed to hear that.

I have read about so many Members who have a Tank, w/ All sizes & species of crabs, and have had no trouble w/ aggression, molting, or their crabs being so scared of New bigger Ones. I did the "homework" on the intro. of new crabs, and I thought I did it correctly. But, Maybe because I got 2 New crabs, & had 2 put Lee in the tank with them after they had already lived there for a while. I had the New crabs for a week or so. Before putting Lee in W/ them. So I guess I had big Red for a little over 2 weeks. I was hoping I would have him for Forever. He was just so very Sweet. His Purple Claw, was Bigger than my Small crab! The guy at the store, asked me - If I really wanted to get him, what if he pinches? - I said that I doubted that, and I was Right. My daughter was w/ me, and he was looking at her & the crab, I could tell that he was thinking that the crab was gonna end up hurting her. Of course he was wrong about that as well. My daughter loved him. Her hands were a little small for him when he came on out! But I Always "spot" her when she holds Our crabs, and all crabs in stores. Sorry for rambling on about Him!! I just miss my "Big Red Baby" & it feels good to talk about his great personality. Beleive Me- No ONE around me wants to hear about it. (they think I have lost it over my crabs) So thats why we can lean on eachother here, because we All love Hermie's! ( Okay.....now that - Lean On Me song is stuck in my head!) "Lean On Me ....... AWhen Your Not Strong....& I'll Be Your Friend.....An I'll Help You Carryyyy Onnnnnnnnn! For .... It Won't Be Long..... Till I'm Gonna Need .. Somebodyyyyyyyy Tooo LLLLeean On!"

Geez, I Really need to get out more. LOL!

I Really Appoligize if anybody reads this, and the song gets stuck in your head too! You can message me a "catchy" song, to get back at me!

Oh, and I am by NO means trying to take members attention away from what's Truely Important here - crabs, & the proper care they need. Also, I'm in No way poking fun. I'm serious. I have had many a shoulder to hold me up on this site. So I hope that didn't offend? :eek:

11. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hahahaha---isn't it terrible when a song gets stuck in your head and seems to stay there all day long. :D And by the way, don't apologize---that's one of the things that is great about this site and another one I belong to---you can share your passion with others who are "crabby people" too with no worries.
    I'm very sorry about your crab you lost. :( Also,are they getting plenty of calcium related foods? This sometimes sparks aggression, especially with molters because the aggressor may be lacking some important things in his diet. Check out some of the posts on here in the Forum. There is a wealth of info on there.

12. Dezzi

Thank you so much McKenny :eek: I will definetly check out the calcium foods, and make sure they are getting all they need. I have been sprinkling cuttlebone all over the tank, and also giving them crushed egg shells. But I am sure there are more foods I can offer them. I try to give them a good selection everynight, but I've got some picky crabs! Most of the foods, that are the best for them, they show no interest in! But, I will keep on trying. & You are right about when a song gets stuck in your head!! It will be There ALL Day!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.