1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 big questions!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by marleyfish, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

oh :shhhh: im worried. ok 2 big questions for the crabbing world. i have six pp's and me thinks me has a problem. since my girlfriend and i have moved into this new apartment about a month ago ive noticed little gnat like fly's around and in my crabitat and in my houseplants so im scared senseless. and i dont know what to do. two of my big guys are down either distressing or molting.idk. and on top of this problem my girl and i are moving from Michigan to Florida where my mom lives, going by car and i don't want to leave my little friends behind. will they survive the journey? we are leaving in 2 months so i have time to figure out what i need to do but im clueless. we will probably stay in a hotel about halfway through the trip and i don't think a hotel will allow me to bring in my tank. please help!!!

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I can't touch base on the gnats but I can talk about moving crabs.

Your crabs should be find in the move, don't tell the hotel you have them,
    they won't know if they don't make a mess.

Keep your crabs in a place that will be sturdy and won't be knocked around a lot.
    I take my crabs with me all the time when I have to travel and they seem to do fine.

However, I'm gonna advise you not to leave them outside. When I was like 10...
    My mom left my crabs in the back of our uhaul cuz it was warm that day (like 60s-70s)
    and then it randomly snowed in the night. Then y'know byebye crabs :sad5:

That is a long trip though and it could stress them out a bit.
    Just make sure their tank stays warm and humid.
    I believe we put a cover over their tank so they couldn't see out,
    y'know less stress n all. Don't blast music.
    if you have them in the backseat put some blankets
    or towels underneath so that they don't bump around as much.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

How big is your tank Marleyfish?

They make a plant/insect spray but if you can spray them out doors.
    Make sure any food that can spoil in the Hermie dishes is removed the next morning and the dish rinsed out before putting it back into the tank.

A way to attract them "out" of your tank is to mix vinegar and liquid dish soap in a shallow bowl. They'll dive in - but not back out. I placed the bowl on top of my hood and made sure they had a way to get out of the tank. I believe it took me about three days before the last couple of stragglers left the tank for good.

FYI...I've read that a gnat's lifespan is four months, and each female can lay upwards of three thousand eggs! :eeeek:

Good Luck... :flower:

4. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

my tank is 29 gal...4 months....oh for the love of mike! ill try the viniger thing. thanks for the help guys, i need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.