1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st time having a crab

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by rachz, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rachz

rachz Hi, I'm New Here!

I bought my daughters two crabs on vacation in North Carolina... they made it back to Mi but there not eating much..I went to the pet store and bought the 10 gallon tank, also the pet store used these little rocks in there tank so thats what I'm using. We have had them probably 6-7 weeks now and they seem ok, but is there somthing else I should do about trying to feed them?? how do I know they are healthy? I have the coral from the beach and I also bought the little hut am I doing everything right??

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

When I first got my hermit crabs, I expected them to eat a lot more then they did. As long as they are eating, that is a good sign. Make sure to switch the type of food you are offering them every day or so. They are picky little devils. A ten gallon tank is a good start, but I would not try to copy the setup that most stores have to display their crabs. They are trying to sell them; rather then mimic their natural surroundings. I like using play sand for my substrate, but have also used coconut fiber with sand. You will find they like it a lot more then the gravel most stores use in their display tank. You also mentioned having some coral in the tank. Just make sure to boil it with sea salt water, not table salt before using it in the tank. They also like it warm and humid; do you have a humidity gauge to check the tank’s humidity?

Jason

3. rachz

rachz Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for the info... the coral came straight from the ocean, and I dont have the gauge yet but its been pretty humid here. I will pick one up soon, and also I will get the sand.. think they will be ok changing the enviroment they are used to?

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

You will be changing it back to a more nature environment for him. Sand is so much better then aquarium gravel or rocks. They love to dig, so the sand is great for them.

I would get a humidity gauge as soon as possible, since even if the tank has enough humidity, it will help with your piece of mind. You should be able to pick up a digital on which has both the temperature and humidity for under $10.00 at a drug store or department store.

Jason

5. rachz

rachz Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you very much!!!!!

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

My Pleasure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.