1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Moult

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Jennaisme, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennaisme

Jennaisme Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, so John is moulting, and I'm so excited. ^_^
    I discovered this accidentally when I pulled the water dish out of the tank to wash it and change the water in it, and there he was, all exoskeletonless.
    I nearly had a heart attack, my partner noticed him before I did, and said there looks like there's a dead crab in the tank, and I checked, and it was just his exoskeleton.
    Since I wasn't sure I could put the water dish back in the tank without disturbing his hole, I took him and his exo out, and put it in another glass tank, with a warm, damp fashwasher over it, to keep the heat and humidity in, and some food and waters for him. I check on him every now and then by lifting the cloth up, and he doesn't seem to be dead, and it looks like he's eating his exoskeleton.
    Did I do the right thing in taking him out of the tank, or should I have left him in there and put the water dish elsewhere?
    It's just that he'd burried down next to the water dish, with no sand between him and it, and I wasn't sure he'd be able to rebury himself, since he hasn't reburried himself in iso.

Still, I'm excited, and he doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs of deathness or anything, and he's moving around quite a bit. He's gone kind of pale white, so do I put him back in the main tank when he's finished his exoskeleton, after I've given him a bath, or do I wait a little bit after it, to make sure his new exo has hardened enough??

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK leaving the crab would have been the best option- covering him with a hut and putting the water dish elsewhere - stop checking on him leave him alone.....

no bath- dont do that its a misconception
    wait til he is up and fairly active to move him
    He will color up when the exo hardens
    sounds possibly as if you dont have enough substrate but they do like to molt under the dishes which is a pain.

3. Jennaisme

Jennaisme Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for the help. ^^
    Just uhh.. One little question.
    If I don't check on him, how will I know when to put him back into the main tank?? Or do I just wait a couple weeks then put him back?? And how do I change the food and water dishes? 'Cause like I said, he hasn't burried himself under the sand, he's just.. Kinda ontop, eating his exo and scuttling around. Okay, so it was two little questions.

When I said check on him, I don't mean I unburied him or anything.
    Also, I think you may have misunderstood the water dish thing.
    He didn't bury himself under it, he burried himself right next to it (I've got the water dish planted in the sand so they can't bury themselves under it) it's just that how he had himself buried, when I took the water dish out, there was a giant hole in the side of his hole, so he'd burried himself against it, with no wall between him and it.

4. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

How deep is your substrate? If you can bury the bowl to where it's touching the bottom of the tank and the top is still exposed, it's probably not deep enough. What type of bowl do you have? Also, just make sure its dark and quiet where he's ISO'd and make sure he has a hut or something to go into if he wants to. :)

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

It sounds like he's doing well.
    Just change his food and water regularly, don't peek in on him any more than when you take a look when you change out the food and water. The idea is to lift that cloth as little as possible, which disturbs him, and he does not need any stress during this most stressful and vulnerable time for him. Give him at least a week, maybe two, in the iso to let his exo harden, and when he's ready to go back into the big tank, just give him a little dip (not a bath) in the fresh water dish before you change it to make him smell like the other hermies. You never want to bathe a hermie with a soft exo, it can inhibit the hardening and cause problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.