1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st molt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by boogiebear, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogiebear

boogiebear Hi, I'm New Here!

We have had tweety since September, about a month or so ago he showed some signs of molting. All the conditions have been good in the tank. For the past 2 weeks he has been in the corner very quiet, he hasn't dug in the substrate for a while. This morning he looked very pale, lethargic and dead, I picked him up, tried to warm him a little, he responded slightly, but I never imagined he was having a surface molt. I decided to use a top of a soda bottle and put it around him, he was only twitching a little at times, the next thing I noticed is that he pulled himself out of the shell a little. I swore he was dying. I went out for a couple of hours and when I got home, I saw his exoskeleton out on the sand and his little pink body tucked in the shell, moves a little when we look at him through the glass. I am so happy that he made it. Now what? I don't know how long to keep him under the bottle top, there is another crab in the cage, but he keeps pretty much to himself. Can anyone help me in advising me what to do next?
    the help will be greatly appreciated

2. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

If you keep him in the pop bottle you need to give him a small dish of salt and regular water (declorinated of course), maybe a little shell or pop bottle lid of cuttlebone and honey will be great too. I would maybe do that till he was almost done with his exo so the other crab won't steal the exo from him. Once the exo is almost gone you can probably lift the pop bottle. Otherwise you can remove it and just make sure the other doesn't bother him at all while he hardens.

3. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Wow. I've never experienced a surface molt, and I hope I never do! Well, actually, in a way I'd like to see it, but it would be way too stressful for me! Sorry you're going through it. I hate it when they're buried for weeks and weeks. I don't think I could handle them looking like they were dying! I'm such a softie.....

Good luck,

Donna M

4. boogiebear

Thanks Donna. It was kinda stressful, but it was amazaing espically to my 6yr old daughter who I prepared her for her hermit crabs death when she got home from school, then to come home from her first school dance to find the amazing thing of the first molt. It was a great moment.

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Surface molts freak me out- I am thankful they are far and few between.......I hope the crab is well

6. boogiebear

Tweety is doing well, up and moving a little, not really eating his exo very much, I put the cuddlebone and honey mixture with him. I put a piece of cardboard in the middle of the cage to seperate tweety from the other hermit crab. I did this because spikey decided to visit the newly molted tweety today while I was out, I was very nervous. I hope the cardboard idea is ok to do. Since I seperated the two does anyone think it is ok to remove to bottle top from Tweety?

7. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

i am waiting for my first molter to come up

8. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

I've got two hermies [Gingo and Elmo] [Elmo bought two days ago, Gingo I've had about a month] and neither have molted, and I kinda freaked out when I thought Gingo was surface molting, I wasnt completely sure but now Im pretty sure the little guy was distressing when I first got him
    So Im wishing you the best and cant wait til mine get a teensssy bit bigger xD
    Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.