1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1o/o4/o4 A Bad Day For Us

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Eric, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tammi\'scrabs

Tammi\'scrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry this is a couple of days late...
    But could it have been your aggresive straw that damaged the indo's claw? Maybe he pinched it and caused a stress crack(s)?
    Sorry to hear about your loss,
    Tammi

2. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Tammi,

He is ding well in ISO. I think if he does not drop the BP that it may cause an infection in time and take over his whole body and eventually kill him [​IMG]

I am hoping that he drops it sooner then later & then goes down for a nice long molt. We shall see. I do have a ruff strawberry that was in with him but I am leaning towards that he fell off the second story and somehow manage to land the wrong way. I guess there is no real way to tell. I am keeping an eye on him in ISO and the tank he came out of with the wild straw in it for now. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your concern tammi.

Cappa

One more reply to this thread and it will become a HOT TOPIC, LOL. First Hot Topic for HCRU. Wonder what it will look like? [​IMG]

3. Eric

4. Tammi\'scrabs

OK, I know this is going to sound REALLY bad, but what if you "helped" the bp fall off? I agree if left the way it is, it could kill the crab. I do not agree with "clipping" legs or anything of the sort. But... if it would help save the crab, it might be worth it. In the wild they lose bp's and live. An infection could kill. And I haven't heard of 'medicine' for crabbies. Please forgive me if I sound evil. I'm not trying too. Sometimes we have to weigh our options...

5. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

I can't imagine the EE caused this. I tried marine sand and I do like it but my crabs seem to like the EE better. Since I have switched to EE 5 months ago I have had 19 sucessful molts and 1 bad. The one that had a sad ending was a cavipe I bought at petco and molted that night or the next morning. I also have 2 down right now.

Sorry you guys are going through this. But, I really don't think it has anything to do with the EE. By all means if the marine sand works better for you then that is what I would stick with.

Good luck with your Indo I really hope he pulls through....

6. Eric

Tammi,

That does not sound mean to me. I thought of it myself but just do not know how to do it. I know he could grow one back easily. Even if he molts I think the damage it to severe that he will always have problems. He must drop it. Any idea's on how to get him to drop it without causing him to much stress?

Cappa

7. Tammi\'scrabs

Thank you for not thinking I am evil!
    I think the best and quickest way would be to use a pair of nail clippers. ( large one) Or if you have a pair of dog clippers for nails. (does that make sense?)it will be quick. And I would probably go up a segment or two of the leg in case of infection. (or as high as you can go) Just remember it's for the best. (as far as I know)

Unless anyone else has any ideas?
    Sending you best wishes!!!!

8. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I think Tammy's idea is pretty good...but OMG I just don't think I could do it [​IMG] Good luck with whatever you decide to do [​IMG]
    Keep us all posted, I am on the edge of my seat [​IMG]

9. Tammi\'scrabs

Thank you Mari,
    I checked this thread thinking I would be getting hate mail. [​IMG]
    I used to be an Animal Control Officer, and my friends can't understand how I could do my job. [​IMG]
    With having to euthanizing animals and then cuddling odd creatures.

10. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Is there any reason why you cant bring him to a vet to have the leg amputated? I wouldnt try it myself...
    I am not sure it NEEDS to be removed, but if you feel it does, I wouldnt think a vet would charge an exobatant fee for such a quick procedure. You have a lot to gain with the sterility, precision, and experience of the veterinarian if you do it this way.

11. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Somethings not sitting right with me on this.. the more I think about it, the more I am worried about it. What if he feels the pain and dies of shock? We dont know what they can feel, but I am sure they can feel their leg getting cut in half. Ugh.. please at least consult a vet first...

12. Eric

Aviate,
    I am not going to do this, trust me. In fact I do not even know if I could if i had too or it would be the right thing to do? I think if I just let it go natural like it would in the wild and he dies at least I know I did everything I could. I also do not think it is necessary right now either. But I did not think that it was a totally off the wall suggestion beings they do lose BP's and grow them back after just 1 MOLT. Although I would not snip it off I would try and gently grab with something and see if i could have him let go of his BP instead. Then take him directly to an ISO. I do not want to talk about this now because it is making me upset just thinking about if I had to how I would go about it. Although like I said in the beginning of my thread here "I will not be doing this" as its better to let it go natural (I think) We did call VETS and everyone said HERMIT CRAB! Even one of them did not know what a hermit crab was. How Pathetic! I think that I would have more knowledge then these jokers I have spoken with on the phone. Some of them even belittled me with laughs. How professional of them? Anyway an update on him, he is doing fine as far as I can see, very active and eating, drinking. The damage is severe though - I agree with jenny, even with a molt he would still have a large LUMP possibly still exposed and put him @ risk for infection.

Cappa

13. Gertrude Snicklegrove

Gertrude Snicklegrove Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry guys, my keyboar_ is not working.

I dwoul_ noy use neosporin...some hermies recta
    ba_ly to antibiotcsi. The herbal rcipee
    has the same properties of antimcrobial ctionai.
    This is really har_. I have been out of town,
    an_ nee_ a keyboar_! [​IMG]

Keep thewou_clean.
    If you _cide to amputate
    _O NOT justclip the leg off!
    Use the unique arthropo_s bo_y.
    Slowly re_ceciculation by tying offd
    the leg high up with a string. The legshoul
    fall of naturally. Their bo_ies are _esigne_
    whd a leg is stuk in the wil_, tocutciculation
    an_ release.

I gotta go, my keyboar just erase
    most of the things I have written to you.

The ? @ liqui_ ban_ai_s, I _on't know. The only thinghat has been use_ on hermies isclear
    liqui

14. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Thanks everyone for all of your concerns, and advice. As Cappa said, all of the Vet's we called couldn't help us, some of them even laughed when we asked if they dealt with Hermit Crabs, and most of them were Exotic Pet Vet's.

Gertie, don't worry about your keyboard, We have all had computer problems before. From what I understand you are suggesting that we tie a tight string around and upper joint? Than the Pincher should fall off naturally from just the string? If this is inccorect please inform me somehow, I will not try anything until I hear back from you.

We will keep you posted.

15. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

sigh, I know how u feel Cappa. when my hermies were sick last year NO VET would see them. I just hoped that for an amputation it might be different. [​IMG]

16. Eric

Lol, Gertie are you out there somewhere? I hope you fixed your keyboard. I had that happen to me once upon a time when I spilled a drink all over it.

Aviate,
    I am just letting him stay in iso and hoping for the best. As of now he still remains pretty active and happy looking. If I see any changes I will keep you all informed, thanks for all your concerns. You are all to kind!

Cappa [​IMG]

17. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] This is one of the saddest threads I have ever read. I'm not saying that amputating is wrong I'm just saying that it's sad. Cappa I hope your hermie gets better soon, however he feels he needs to do so.

18. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

It is very sad, knowing that our Hermie is sick, and that we can't do anything about it. Knowing that all we can do is provide the proper enviroment for him, and hope for the best..it stinks!

[​IMG]

19. Eric

Thanks for your concern and support SuperMom.

Cappa [​IMG]

20. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

was just thinking about your poor guy. how is he doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.