1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1o/o4/o4 A Bad Day For Us

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Eric, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

I have good news and bad news. My exotics tank had a few crazy things going on in there. I have not bothered a lot of the crabs as a few of them were bought a few months back from bad conditions and put into there new home around a month and a half ago. Anyway, me and jenny found two dead ruggies in there shells and one dead indo. The dead indo was from josh and I had for a while so could not have been PPS, he was out of his shell buried (dead). I have never lost so many crabs all at once. As a matter of fact I have never lost more then 1 at once or even close to the same times. I have no clue what could have happened to the indo but I suspect a 2 part problem here. My hypothesis is that the aggressive strawberry I have pulled the indo out of his shell to his death at maybe a possible premolt time. The two ruggies were 2 of 8 crabs I brought back from putrid just awful conditions so I guess I can blame them deaths on PPS. I did everything I could! I am going to keep an eye on my aggressive strawberry, he is BIG and just crazy, really!

As I am writing this jenny has pulled out a indo with a crack on his big pincher now that was never there before and a big meaty like substance bulging out of it. GEEZ, What could this be? This has been one of the worst crabbing days in my entire 6 years of crabbing. I am switching back to my sand as I blame part of this on EE, I know a lot of people use it I just never liked it. There was someone around before whom posted, they had deformities after molts, etc., after they switched to EE. I know a lot of us use it but not me anymore. I love Marine Sand. I never have a problem or a death in my 40 breeder with my PP's, coincidence that I use marine sand in there? We will see. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA'S WHAT HAPPENED TO THE INDO WITH THE CRACKED BP?

Best Regards,
    Cappa [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Eric

Gosh, Was so wrapped up in the bad news cause there was so much of it, Forgot the great news. My E that I had rescued from the same awful conditions that the ruggies whom just passed of PPS was big pincherless and just came up from a 2 month molt with a new BP, switched shells, very active & just overall looking great.

Regards,
    Cappa <<Still switching EE back to Marine Sand

3. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

meaty like substance? is it fleshy colored? if so, its probably flesh [​IMG]
    ugh...

4. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

Oh Cappa and Jenny I am so sorry to hear that, I wish there was some thing thatI could do for you both but all I can do is pray for ya.
    Sandra

5. Eric

Aviate, Have any idea what could have caused this? It is a cracked BP with the insides bulging out. If I did not no better I would say like a tumor.

Sandra, thanks for the support. I just cannot believe this.

Cappa

6. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Well, I had a crab with some flesh hanging out once after a bad molt. It wasnt pretty. Eventually the leg rotted and the crab died. Ugh. Hopefully your crab will drop the claw. In the meantime do your best to keep it clean. Does anyone have our book yet at your house? We have the recipe for some herbal baths in there that cant hurt and could act as antibacterial help. [​IMG]

7. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Unfortunately Aviate, we don not have your book at our house yet.. [​IMG] I couldn't believe it when I picked him up and saw that. I'm so scared, I'm so upset about all that happened today...I just can't believe all this has happened. Thanks for all the support gals, I hope he pulls through. We usually don't use ISO, but I think tomorrow I'm going to set him up in one...I know Aviate, that you are a strong believer in ISO's, but the only crabs we've Iso'd, well they never made it, and we always had good conditions in ISO. We've had many successful main tank molts, and DE-stressing up until recently. The Ruggies that died from PPS were 2 out of 8 rescues and the others are doing great. In fact we did ISO All 8 when we got them, because they came from such bad situations. I think this Indo needs special care. If there's anyway you could post a recipe for an herbal bath it would be greatly appreciated. I'll update tomorrow!

Jenny

8. Crabzmom

Crabzmom Hi, I'm New Here!

Still aching from my single loss, I can't imagine what you guys are experiencing. Is the aggressive Straw in the same tank with ALL of them? Maybe he snapped and killed some, injured some, cracked a shell. It seems odd so many would go at once without a single cause. My prayers are with you. I'm so sorry. Please post their obits in the Memory of Skip column so they can each be honored. So senseless.

9. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Awwwwwww so sorry for being late on this but im really sorry for you both awwwwwwww thats so sad, but wierd so many passed at once.
    [​IMG]Hermie HUGS to you both awwwwwww.. I wonder what has happend, could the straw have been a carrier of something that spread to the others? Or maybe like you was saying it was just super agressive? But on the other hand gald the E has molted and is doing well. Im glad i keep my hermies seperated not only by size but the straws are in a seprate tank viv and the micros in there own and the small Ruggies in there own and PPs off in there own tank viv's. I hope the one with the cracked BP is going to be ok and i think its best to be in a ISO so that you can monitor it and its safe away from the others. Please keep us up todate on whats going on, my heart goes out to you.. [​IMG]

10. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

regarding isos. when you say I advocate them, do you mean for new crabs, sick crabs, or molting crabs? Theres a difference. For any new crabs... yes. absolutely, we need to be isoing because they can spread germs to your main tank. for an already sick crab, I believe iso is the safest way to keep him from getting picked on or injured or stressed by the healthier crabs. remember, in nature, the law of survival of the fittest applies in the animal kingdom. animals will pick on weaker ones. or, they can just in their daily business accidentally hurt a weakened crab.
    As for isos for molting, thats an individual choice based on the size of your tank, the amount and success of hiding spots, and how many crabs you have.

You say the crabs youve isod never made it, despite good conditions. I would suspect they were already sick, or weakened (which is why you isoed them in the first place). An iso tank in and of itself is innocuous and cant kill a crab.

As for the recipe. I will pm it to you. I have to get the instructions....

11. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

oh. and also. the herbal bath is just something to keep the wound clean. it wont "heal" it [​IMG]
    Im sorry this has happened. Poor little crab. How does he look today?
    If it gets pretty bad, a local vet may be able to perform an amputation as a last resort. An amputation isnt critical in a hermie because the limb will regenerate at the next molt. However, an infection that spreads through the open wound COULD be deadly so its something you may want to consider down the line if it begins to fester.
    do you have a picture?

12. Eric

Aviate, Jenny will upload pictures of our poor Indo with the crack(s). The more i looked at him, seems as he may have molted recently and has more then 1 crack? Could it be a deformity from EE?

Cappa

13. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Hi- are you sure theyre cracks? can u submit pics?

14. ReganShaw

There are pictures in the Emergency forum [​IMG]

Jenny

15. Gertrude Snicklegrove

Gertrude Snicklegrove Hi, I'm New Here!

First of all, I am so sorry this has happened Jenny and Cappa! I am sorry.

I would use the herbal bath. It should stimulate healing and immune activity, as well as keeping the wound clean.

It's hard not trying to guess without knowing the history of this crab. How long ago was his last moult?

At this time, I am hazarding a guess, of one of two things. First being, he may have fallen and cracked his BP. That happens. Second, he may have gotten into a fight with another crab of equal or larger size. They can crack one another's exo with their BP's. However, unless he just moulted this last week, I'm betting he simply had an accident. The best thing you can do is keep the wound clean and covered.

Clean the crack with a salt water bath, and dry. This is the hard part. Cover the would with clear finger nail enamel, and let it dry. This will help keep junk out of the wound. If, at any time, there is a sign of infection, the claw will need to be amputated. If an infection becomes symptomatic, nothing can be done.

At this time, unless the crab shows symptoms of sickness, I would think he would be okay living in the main habitat again.

In my opinion, I do not think ee had anything to do with this crack. However, marine sand is awfully nice, so its fine to change over.

Oh guys, I am really sorry this is happening to you!
    Please email me if you have more questions!!!

Gertie

16. Eric

Aviate,
    Thanks for the herbal bath recipe.

Cappa

17. ReganShaw

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gertrude Snicklegrove:
    First of all, I am so sorry this has happened Jenny and Cappa! I am sorry.
    Thanks Gertie.

I would use the herbal bath. It should stimulate healing and immune activity, as well as keeping the wound clean.
    I'm trying to get the stuff together for the herbal bath, I'm hoping it will help keep him clean, if I can't get the herbs, should I bath him more frequently to keep him clean?

It's hard not trying to guess without knowing the history of this crab. How long ago was his last moult?
    He never molted in our care, we have had him about 5 1/2-6 months

At this time, I am hazarding a guess, of one of two things. First being, he may have fallen and cracked his BP. That happens. Second, he may have gotten into a fight with another crab of equal or larger size. They can crack one another's exo with their BP's. However, unless he just moulted this last week, I'm betting he simply had an accident. The best thing you can do is keep the wound clean and covered.
    What should I cover the wound with, and what is Your opion on using non-pain relieving neosporin, as CudaCrabby suggested?

Clean the crack with a salt water bath, and dry. This is the hard part. Cover the would with clear finger nail enamel, and let it dry. This will help keep junk out of the wound. If, at any time, there is a sign of infection, the claw will need to be amputated. If an infection becomes symptomatic, nothing can be done.
    Any type of clean nail polish? would this hurt the poor guy? Should I use a q-tip to clean the wound off?

At this time, unless the crab shows symptoms of sickness, I would think he would be okay living in the main habitat again.
    He is very acctive in the Iso by himself, but when he was in the main tank he stayed in the corner, by himself all the time. I never saw him eat or drink, and when I put him in ISO he sat in both water dishes for about a day, and the food dish for about 2 days. The ISO was covered in Poo, I don't think he felt safe enough to come out of his shell in the main tank to clean his shell out.

In my opinion, I do not think ee had anything to do with this crack. However, marine sand is awfully nice, so its fine to change over.

Oh guys, I am really sorry this is happening to you!
    Please email me if you have more questions!!!
    Thanks Gertie for all your help

Gertie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jenny

18. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Gertie couldnt Jenny use liquid bandage insted of the nail polish?? We have used that with great sucsess on tarantulas and they have a exo as well just like a hermie and also on scorpions to, the Non pain reliving Neosporin has been used with awsome sucess as well not only on reptiles and other herps like snakes, lizards and so forth but we have used the Neo on tarantulas and scorps to.. The thing is to use it to where it wont clog the gills just like we have to watch what we are doing when we use it on Ts and scorps they have book lungs and we have to make sure that it dont get on those as it would suffocate the arachnid.

19. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I am having a hard time seeing the pictures [​IMG]
    Dont know why...
    Is there just one leg/claw affected or more than one?
    How is he doing now?

20. ReganShaw

Aviate,
    It is his BP only that is damaged, and seems to have damage in more than one spot. There are 2 small cracks, that make it look either like he fell onto something, and it indented his BP or someone else's BP ddid it. The other spot is where the "bulge" is. Since he has been in ISO he has been very active, eating and drinking up. He is always in one of either the water dishes or the food dish. He walks around a lot also. I think he is doing a lot better, but I would like him to molt soon, I still wonder though, if when he molts it will fix his BP. I would think he would have to drop his BP and grow a new one, for the "bulge" to be gone, otherwise I would think the lump would stay and his BP would harden over it leaving a hard lump on his BP. Sorry I'm rambling, I'm just trying to sort out the possibilities. Thanks for listening.

Jenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.