1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

126 Gallon Completed!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by jeckles, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Okay.

Have I ever commented on this set-up?

If I did, did I mention how incredibly jealous I am? :cool:

AMAZING!!

2. jeckles

jeckles Hi, I'm New Here!

nothing to be jealous of, Im sure your hermies are as loved and happy as mine!

Will definately post some pics, can not wait to change it around!

hehe thanks laughs o Lot, I like to change it around for them, it keeps them entertained! Im always striving to better it!

yeah except when they get cuddles lol I dont think they have to deal with that in the wild :D

Thankyou very much :)

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Maybe if they think there in the wild you'll get some pregnant crabs like the crabbagepatch did.

4. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

:eek: omg, thats amazing and so natural. im so jealous.

5. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

WOW. How did you fix up that jacuzzi? I'm so jealous. I'm going to upgrade to a 15 gallon tank... it still seems too small, but it's free, so I may as well take it. I want to do a second level, too, and I saw somewhere on here someone did it by nailing a piece of wood to an upturned half log and attaching nets and covering it in moss... I'm not sure my tank is going to be big enough, though. :(

My dream is to have a huge tank like yours, with lots of little friends for my mike and ike.

How much money did you sink into a tank as fabulous as that?

Kudos to your crabitat!!

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Be careful with 'nailing wood' in a tank. Much of the wood available in home improvement stores isn't crab-safe, and even the wood that is crab safe is coated with all kinds of chemicals. Additionally, nails are bad as they expose crabs to metals that can kill crabs.

7. lovelylivelycrabs

Glue then? What is strong enough and still crab safe? and what about hardwoods? Couldn't I sand the wood down and use it then? Couldn't I use screws and countersink them and cover them with another piece of wood using a crab safe glue?
    :confused:

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

As for glue, just use aquarium sealant, and use plexiglass (available fairly cheaply at hardware stores, and they'll cut it for you too!) for the levels. The problem with woods at hardware stores is all the chemicals they put on them during the cutting/shipping process to keep bugs out and to keep them from dry rotting. Then you could use a crab-safe wood like cholla wood or grapevine for them to climb up, or a hemp net or aquarium plant or something.

9. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Wow. That's a big tank. I'm happy for you. What do you feed your hermies???

10. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

:)126-gallons! Wow, that's a big tank. What kind of hermit crabs are you housing in your tank?:p

11. lovelylivelycrabs

I just have some questions as I admire your crabitat. How long and wide is a 126 gallon aquarium? Where do you keep it? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of putting a 65 gallon in my room, and I know those are like 4 feet long. How much substrate did you have to use? Am I correct in saying you use sand as substrate? I wonder how much EE I'd have to use if I didn't have an awesome bubble pit like you... and I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it in here, how exactly did you make that bubble pit? That thing is beyond awesome. I think my crabs would love it, especially if you could use salt water. I find them frequently just lying in the salt water dish. Also, how much fresh food is required for 32 hermies? I have 3 but it seems like they eat barely anything at all. They do love their cuttlebone though. How did you make the levels? :) Sorry for the barrage of questions, just hoping to get a tank as supremely awesome as yours! :D

12. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

Just to comment on the above question....

One of my tanks is a 55 gallon tall. It took more than 150 pounds of sand. I would think that in your 65 long tank you should plan on using at least 4 bags (50 pounds each). If I were you, I would bring home 5-6 bags just to be safe. You will certainly use any extra eventually. Well, that is if you have a place to store it. Nothing worse than running out of substrate when your trying to set up.

I can't even imagine how much and how expensive it would be to do this with EE. I put EE in select places where they like to sleep instead.

13. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

It took 3 bags of sand for me to fill my 65 gallon tank to a level where my jumbo could bury. And I didn't even put sand in the middle of the tank where the fountain and water dishes were - used rocks/gravel.

14. lovelylivelycrabs

50 POUND BAGS?! Holy moly, and 4? Wow. I'll see if I can find a sale on ee, I think you can get a pack of 6 blocks for $13 off petco.com... I'm not sure how long that will last though. Sheesh, maybe I'll need 2 six packs and a 3 pack the way you guys are talking. :) Thanks for your input! :)

15. lovelylivelycrabs

What did you use for your rock-looking background? It's very handsome :)

16. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

When I see that cage, it makes me wonder why nobody ever made a word that means bigger than GINORMOUS!

How about... "your cage is galaginormoundiously HUGE!!" :eek:

How much did that monster cost?!
    The video is mesmerizing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.