1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 gallon ---> 55 gallon

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Jedi_sena, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

I need suggestions and tips on upgrading from a 10 gal to a 55. I got one from our local freecycle. Used, but very nice. Now I have to furnish it! I definitely want to incorporate live plants since there is so much room. Welcoming the input from all of you!

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

All i can suggest, ia a LARGE Single shower caddy for a 2 level

An lots of long sticks( That what i used when i had my 55 GAL.)

3. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

I do like Vines, they look good in a crabitat. What i do is buy a bendavine and from walmart i got leaf vines to wrap around the bendavine.

4. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my 55 gallon tank so far. How am I doing?

5. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hmmm... it looks really nice, but is that thing in the middle that looks like a dual votive holder supposed to be for the fresh/salt water? The only reason I ask is because I didn't see any other fresh/salt water dishes anywhere else. :)

A couple more questions (just wondering) - Are you just waiting to put the food in there until the crabbies are in there? What's in the upper left hand corner? It looks like EE, but I'm not sure. And one more question, and then I'll leave you alone (for now, lol...) - what's in the (glass?) pan sitting vertically in the middle? It kind of looks like the sand you're using as substrate, so I was just wondering if it was something different. :)

But basically, just make it fun for them... like lotsa climbies, and stuff like that. You have plenty of room to be as creative as you'd like! :)

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Looks good so far. But as Chuck stated, if those are water dishes, they need to be deep enough for your largest crab to totally submerge. You can put vines or whatever in them for the smaller ones to get out with. Like Chuck said--you have lots of room to let your imagination go wild! Just make it fun!! Good luck!!

7. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Umm,you could add some more color. Lol. (Why that matters I dunno) Hehe,some vines & other fake plants would be nice like what rcar77 said. You could add some small flower pots & tip them over on there side. Hmm...other than that it's lookin pretty good.

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

It looks good....more is not always better. I do agree about the water dishes. Other than that, it looks great:D

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Im surprised that you ask when you have so much time vested at HCA and have seen so many tanks. Its off to a great start but you need deeper substrate too and more hidies. Our photo gallery has some nice tanks too I believe

10. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

That is awesome input guys! I added a saltwater bathing pool (hadn't disinfected it yet!) I definitely need deeper substrate--especially since I bought a small jumbo named Triton! The weird substrate in the middle is actually an experiment. I took tiny gravel from an ant pile to see if they'd show any interest in it, like digging, etc. The gal w/ the 30+ year old crabs uses some type of fine gravel and I always want to copy her! The top left hand is actually another live plant container, but I haven't potted it yet. It's a work in progress.

Hermez: "Im surprised that you ask when you have so much time vested at HCA and have seen so many tanks."

Why wouldn't I value the opinions of the members on this site as much as members on any other? And I only have one 10 gallon tank and now this 55 gallon upgrade. I spend more time at the HCA because I'm more familiar with it and I've figured out how to get replies to my posts there which reminds me to return there often. I enjoy chatting with many crabby buddies on various forums--a true addict, I can't get enough crab talk!!! And setting up a big tank like this is completely new to me, so I appreciate getting all the feedback possible.

Thanks for the feedback! You guys had some great ideas!

11. krackersmom2

You never know when someone is going to come up with a genious idea!;) I like to see other people's tanks anyway! I actually prefer this site over HCa although I go to both. I just like the ease of reading the posts on here....plus I can't seem to figure out how to post pics on the "other" site. :cool: Thanks for showing us your pics and asking for our input!

12. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

Actually, I just reviewed the responses I got there on this post and actually found that the folks on this site gave more feedback on more aspects! ;)

13. krackersmom2

I enjoy this website tremendously. I ALWAYS get great feedback from the members here and I trust their opinions. I find this site easy to navigate and get updates on the threads. This community is like family:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.